Saturday 18 March 2017

Mother's Day: Gifts, Days Out and Days In

I've been struggling to decide how to approach this Mother's Day post. I finally decided to merge everything I wanted to write about in a round-up of gifts to make your Mum/Grandmother feel special alongside things to do on the day that will really show how much you love her.
I've organised the post into three sections (gifts, days out and days in) so, if you know what you're looking for, you can scroll straight to it. There are days out for the family as well as those with a bit more culture.


The Gifts

You don't have to visit a salon or spa for a bit of pampering. Treats for pampering at home are a great way to show how much you appreciate her hard work and that you understand your Mum needs some time out to relax so most of these gifts focus on that and I've tried to cover a range of gifts and ways to do that.
Jo Malone is a favourite on mine for candles but I was bought their geranium and walnut hand cream for Christmas and love it. Ask any mum and they'll say their hands have suffered since becoming a parent. The size of this one is deceptive as it lasts and lasts, it smells heavenly and immediately makes my hands look less like they've been dealing with chores which makes me very happy!


Clarins has long been a favourite, even more so since becoming a parent. Their multi-active night cream and energy booster have saved my skin from sleepless nights countless times. They're such great quality products and would make great gifts.


I honestly don't think you can ever have too many candles and being bought good quality ones as gifts is even lovelier. Every time I burn my Molton Brown coco and sandalwood one I feel like it's time to relax. The smell is divine and, because it's three-wick, its scent will fill your home beautifully.


For a gift with longevity, that's useful and beautiful, I love this silver plated heart box from The White Company. Mine holds my wedding and engagement rings, as well as any other special jewellery, and looks rather sophisticated sitting on my dressing table.


My sister and I celebrated celebrated Mother's Day early with our mum this year because she'll be in Japan with my dad on 26th March which got me thinking about different ways to celebrate it, so here's my round-up.

Staying In

If you're staying in, there are lots of ways to make your mum feel special: cook her breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner, take on the hires. If you're looking for breakfast and brunch inspiration, why not try very berry pancakes? They're different, easy to make (great to involve young children) and are absolutely delicious.



Time is something we all crave and I bet, a bookworm, would love a special edition of one of their favourite books, a cup of tea and the time to sit enjoying both. I love the simplicity, but thoughtfulness, of the idea of presenting a wrapped book and a new mug filled with her favourite hot drink.


You don't have to buy expensive flowers, but try to remember her tastes as it shows you take an interest in the things she likes. My local florist told me that suppliers generally hike their prices by 2/3 around Mother's Day(!), so sticking to flowers that are in season will help with your budget. I'm a huge fan of tulips and daffodils (which look really impressive when open), both of which are in season. A couple of bunches in the same colour don't cost a great deal and would look lovely waiting for your mum in a vase on the table, or on a tray for breakfast in bed.

Days Out: A Bit of Culture

My sister and I took our mum to the V&A underwear exhibition last month to celebrate Mother's Day early as she's away on 28th. Unfortunately, it closed on 12th March, but their wedding dress exhibition is really lovely and a great way of getting your mum or grandmother to reminisce about their special day. There are so many free exhibitions at the V&A, as well as in the neighbouring museums on Cromwell Road, that you don't have to book for; you'll be spoilt for choice. And, if you're looking for somewhere to eat there are lots of lovely eateries on neighbouring Exhibition Road (on your walk from South Kensington tube). One of my favourites is Comptoire Libanais.
Another great exhibit is the Princess Diana exhibit at nearby Kensington Palace (High Street Kensington is couple of tube stops away) and you get to explore the Palace as part of your entry fee.
Afternoon tea is a firm favourite (but you'll need to book asap) and there are few better than Prêt-à-Portea which is inspired by current catwalk trends. It's a real talking point and one that I've been to numerous times with friends.

Days Out: For the Family

If you're looking for a gift and day out in one, National Trust or RHS memberships are a great choice. We've visited so many and there is lots for little ones to do, although, it seems that all most toddlers want to do is run around!



Lots of gardens across the UK are offering free entry for mums, from the Eden Project to Godstone Farm, so it's worth searching online for places near you that offer the same.
As it's Spring, why not visit your local farm? Ours is entering lambing season and children can help feed them! It was such a hit last year that we'll be heading back again.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© There's Always Sunday | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig