Wednesday 21 September 2016

Hello Autumn!

I don't know about you, but I've been struggling to admit that summer's drawn to a close: it was so lovely going on days out or simply playing in the garden that I feel slightly lost for things to do now that autumn 's blown in and I've also been flummoxed blog-wise as I tend to write about things that are inspired by time with my little family.


To get back in the swing of things, I decided to look through the UK calendar and make my usual list of things to do now it's getting slightly chillier (although, I'm writing this after yet another play group in the sunshine where we were all in shorts and t-shirts!) and thought I'd share it with you too in case you're looking for any autumnal inspiration to sweep away those end-of-summer blues!

1. Harvest festival, this weekend, is a great excuse to pay a visit to a local farm for some fresh produce to take home and get your little ones involved in the cooking and excited about veg. I've got a post coming on this towards the end of the week.
2.  Go PYO. Yes, I know it's September, but there's still plenty that's ripe for the picking! Sweetcorn, runner beans, blackberries and onions are in season and while the days are still surprisingly warm, it's definitely on our list!
3. If you're looking for something a bit more adhoc, go for a walk and forage for blackberries in the hedgerows. There are still lots about just crying out to be put in a pie!
4. The leaves are starting to turn so it's only a matter of time before they'll flutter down ready for your little ones to enjoy crunching all over. We're members of the National Trust so have planned a trip to Sheffield Park as I keep hearing how beautiful it is in autumn.
5. The Forestry Commission has lots of great ideas for older toddlers including trails based on some of their favourite Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler characters. Although our LOs are too young to complete some of activities, our toddler will love hunting out Stick Man and the Gruffalo.
6. As the evenings get darker, go star gazing. I'm not sure whether we'll venture further than the garden, but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for a crystal clear evening to get our toddler wrapped up. The harvest moon was pretty spectacular, but it wasn't dark early enough, so hopefully there will be clear skies on 16th October. If that's not up your street then, look out for evenings with amazing sunsets.
7. Get arty, just like you did when you were a child: collect leaves for a collage or do some tree rubbings with paper and crayons.
8. Pop on your wellies and go hunting for puddles to splash in.

This should keep us busy for the rest of September and the start of October but, if you've got any great suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© There's Always Sunday | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig